So maybe I'm weird, but I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world like this. I LOVE buying new school supplies. I'd have a house full of them if I could! New pens, pencils, rulers and binders, and--my favorite--notebooks. One of my favorite things is a simple composition notebook that's never been used. You know, the kind with the mottled black and white cover, and the place to put the subject and your name? Yeah. I love those.
You should have seen me a few weeks ago--we were at Office Depot (a.k.a. "Notebook Heaven") shopping for school supplies for Caleb and Emily. I kept dashing from one stack of notebooks to another, scriffling the pages of each, smelling the new paper smell, and gazing at the clean white blue-lined sheets one by one. *laughs* Yes, I must have looked like an idiot, but I was having the time of my life.
I bought a couple things: a small, spiral bound notebook, and a brand-new sketch pad. Now, there's something else I need to tell you. I already have a whole stack of empty and partially used notebooks and journals at home! I always have wonderful intentions to fill them with my thoughts and doodles, stories and songs... but I have the hardest time making myself ruin the beauty of those spotless pages!
Yet, eventually, I bring myself to write in them. And you know what? I like it. I communicate my thoughts much better on paper than I ever can in speech. I can always go back, cross out a word, and replace it with a better one. I can take my time, mulling over things until they make sense, and then find the words more easily. There isn't the rush of knowing another person is waiting for a response, the pressure of verbalizing those intricate wordless ideas in split seconds. It's more comfortable.
I have a goal to fill (at least) five journals with my thoughts and the story of my life. I wonder if I can accomplish that?
The reason this subject came to mind is that I just got a brand-new laptop. It's empty (except for all those annoying extras I'll have to delete), and runs super fast. All I've used so far is the internet, so I don't have any documents, any pictures, any...anything on here. It's just like a notebook straight from the store, and I love it!
Soon, though, I'll fill it with my thoughts, my ideas, my stories, doodles, and songs.
Then it will be even better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Regarding school/office supplies, I'm the same. Does that make me weird too? ;)
Guess you can count me as weird. I love notebooks to esp. the composition ones but now with cool covers! Also new pens, rulers, colored pencils...mmmmmm
Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal
I can relate. I filled like 5 or 6 scrapbooks over the past 4 years or so with thoughts, poems and just random good stuff I came across. I was sorting them out recently.. It's so cool to read back, years later, what I wrote at certain times in my life. Write about the good and the bad times.. I find it helps so much to help me organize my thoughts, and also to process things...
Electropruts (from mkP)
Post a Comment